Saturday, May 11, 2013

Will I ever get there?

I was up at almost the crack of dawn this morning because I wanted to take a window of opportunity to get to my next stop before the wind storm started.  We rolled out of the KOA right at 8:00 and headed north.  Seems the weather guessers were wrong once again, and the winds rolled in very shortly out of the north.  It seemed a struggle to move down the road, and I literally watched the gas gage move downward.

After about an hour and a half, I noticed that dreaded gap of light from the awning once again in my rear view mirror.  Shucks!  I slowed way down and exited the highway where I could get some gas.  My plan was to fill up, get the ladder out and push the awning back, and head onto my next destination.  What was I thinking?  At this point, the wind was blowing in the 30 mph range and I knew I couldn’t go on let alone fix the awning.

_MG_2095

Luckily, this gas station had a campground connected to it.  So here we are.  Stuck once again.  After only 60 miles, I was set up to spend the night by 10:30 in the morning!  The wind has been so strong that I couldn’t even put out the living room slide for fear the slide topper would rip off.  Emma has been as nervous as when we are in a terrible thunder and lightening storm. 

I didn’t even make it to Sioux Falls, so we are about 320 miles from Tamarac NWR, and I have a dilemma.  They are expecting me tomorrow, and one of the interns will stay on call to open the gates for me so I can get to the RV site.  I know I can call the intern, and tell her I can’t make it, but this journey has seemed to go on forever and ever.  I’m anxious to get there.  I guess I’ll just have to see how the winds are in the morning. 

_MG_2097

Along about 5:30, the winds had abated to about 25 mph, so I set up the ladder to try to fix the awning, again.  You’ll just have to imagine me perched near the top pounding on the arm.  At least this time I could lean back against the slide out for stability.  I got it in, but I sure hope I don’t have to stop every 75 miles or so to do this tomorrow.  Cross your fingers for me. 

I would have gotten on the roof to see if I could secure the arm except for two things.  First, it scares me to go up there, and second, I figured I might get blown off and flown down to the Gulf of Mexico!  I like gulf shrimp, but I sure don’t want to be one!  Surprised smile

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

P.S.  Hope you know that I appreciate being able to vent my frustrations on you all…