Wednesday, May 8, 2013

This Tricky Little Business

Blogging is a never ending learning experience. There's so much to learn, so much to tweak, and so much that can be changed or improved upon. Sometimes I wish that I could sit all day, read blogs, write and research. So if anyone figures out how's that financially possible...please send me an email.
In the mean time, I asked the lovely ladies on my sidebar what the best blogging advice they have ever received was. 
This is when our 'true' selves come out.
My best advice to grow your blog is to get connected! This blogging world is full of amazing bloggers and developing friendships with other bloggers makes the experience so much more enjoyable! Also, take advantage of link parties, giveaways, advertising and swapping. The key to growing your blog is to let as many people as possible know about your blog! These are great ways to do that and you can spend as much or as little money (or even none at all!) in the process!

Laurie:
 Would you read what you write?
Blog // Twitter

Lauren:
Write often, daily even. It doesn't mean that you're going to publish everything you write, but it gets you in the habit of seeing your life through the lens of writing and keeps you in good practice.  It's also helpful when you have a chaotic week and you really just need to post something.  If you've been writing often, you've already got a supply of possible posts that just need a little sprucing up.
Bloglovin' // Facebook

Chelsea:
I will keep it short and sweet, looks matter! A first good impression in blogging is everything! When designing your blog, a few things to remember: clean blog design, readable fonts, and descent photos that fit your blog space! 
Blog // Bloglovin'


Beth:
While it may seem trivial, the best blogging advice I got early on was to really brand yourself. A big part of this included ensuring that all of your social media handles were easy to remember, and the SAME! If you have seven different names for your Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and so forth, people won't remember you as much and it will be harder for readers to find you. Along those same lines, someone once told me to really invest in those social media outlets and get to know other bloggers. The more present you are, the more people will notice you! After all, that's how I "met" Chelsea! 
Blog // Twitter 

Robyn: 
The best bit of advice I was given, was from Sam, a beautiful friend and wonderful writer who introduced me to blogging. She advised me to write when I had a story to share that was honest and true to me; not because of a schedule or (ahhh ekkk!) because of stats and the thought that a post might be popular.  She also mentioned to cut down on the exclamation points!!!! (One I am still working on!!)
Blog

Erica:
I've received lots of blogging advice in my almost two years of blogging, but one of the best pieces of advice I've received is to make your pictures BIG. This makes a huge difference in your blog's aesthetics. Whenever I can, I make my picture fill the entire width of my body section, which is 800px. You don't have to be a professional photographer or have an expensive camera to show off your pictures... your readers want to see them! And they don't want to have to click on the picture to be able to do so. Don't be afraid to go bigger than the X-Large option blogger gives you, either. If you don't know how to do this, click on the HTML in the top left corner next to the "Compose" button. When you find your image, you'll notice a width="xx" and height="xx" (with numbers instead of the x's). What I do is delete the "height" section all together, and change the width value to 800. You'll obviously want to pick a number that'll fit in your body without protruding onto the sidebar. If you don't know what the heck I'm talking about, a quick google search pulled up this article with a better explanation. (http://bettysnzblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/how-to-make-photos-larger-on-blogger.html)
Bloglovin' // Pinterest

 Kate:
The best blogging advice that I ever received wasn't something I was told, since actions speak louder than words and all that jazz. It was a blogger responding to a comment that I made directly to my email.  I was still new to blogging and shocked that this bigger blogger took the time to reply, and that it came right into my email. It made me realize how connecting with readers was such an important part of blogging. I try to always take the time to reply. Oh, and while we're on that topic - make sure your email is linked to your profile.  There's nothing more frustrating then trying to reply and finding that someone is a 'no reply' commenter. 
Blog // Twitter  

Heather:
The best blogging advice I ever heard was to treat your blog like a business. That means regular posts, responding to emails and comments, and overall just not being flakey. I am not a very disciplined person, so something that is not a "must" in my life will never get done. God has used this change of perspective towards my blog, from seeing it as a hobby to seeing it as a business, to help me to develop discipline & faithfulness in my life!
Bloglovin' // Twitter

Belinda:
From Erin in Living in Yellow:  To be a funny blog writer, write as if you are talking face to face with someone.
From Lauren at Aspiring Kennedy: If your blog looks better than your life- ditch it.
Bloglovin' // Twitter

So what's your best blogging advice?

Linking up with Kenzie

Follow on Bloglovin