Saturday, August 31, 2013

How to Have Adventures at Home-Chasing Happy

Can I just say how much I adore blogs out there that scream positivity and encourage others to do the same? And can we agree that we can all use a little pick me up...oh I don't know, just about every day? One of my favorites is written by Kenzie of Chasing Happy. This girls screams positivity, and you can't help but feel instantly brighter when reading her sweet words of encouragement, looking at what she has created next or when she gives great, relatable advice on how to pretty much live your life better; or some of my favorites, how to blog better. That's why I'm so excited about the piece that she's written for you all today. I know you're going to love her as much as I do!

--------------------

Hello there, beautiful people! I'm Kenzie from Chasing Happy, a blog about creativity, happiness, and real life. I'm so glad that Chelsea is having me on her blog today--I love meeting new people in blogland! Hi, hi, hi! The thing I love about Chelsea's blog is how much it feeds my wanderlust. I don't know about you, but I'd sell all my stuff to travel the world in a heartbeat, if I could. My husband might have an issue with that, though, so for now I content myself with taking vacations and stalking reading blogs like Chelsea's. But what's a girl to do on a long weekend (like this one!) when it seems like everyone has exciting travel plans? If you're stuck at home like me, here are a few ideas on how to scratch your adventure itch in your own city.

Visit a local tourist attraction

Head to a museum, snap photos of a public sculpture, explore an historic building, or sip coffee at a popular coffee shop. As a local, these little gems might have escaped your notice--but now's your chance to experience them with new eyes. Explore your city with the perspective of a visitor: what's unique about these attractions? What stories would you tell about them "back home?"

Go out for an exotic dinner

One of my favorite parts of any new place is the food. But most cities have exotic food of their own. Here in Nebraska, we've got Indian, Korean, Sudanese, authentic Mexican, Brazilian, Spanish, French... it's a huge variety. And this is Nebraska. If we have it, you have it, too. Probably even more. Treat your taste buds to something new!

Watch a foreign or inspiring movie

Even if you can't go anywhere, you can pretend you did by watching a carefully selected movie. Pick a foreign film to feel like you're in a different country, or rent a travel flick to live vicariously through someone else's adventures.

Start planning

Page through a travel guide and plan your next trip, even if you don't have a date in mind just yet. Anticipation can give you a huge happiness boost, and planning a vacation is a great way to create that excitement.

Have a spa day

Try recreating the typical vacation experiences, like a day at the beach (or pool, locally) or an afternoon of spa treatments (or even just a mani/pedi). The actual activity is probably pretty similar from place to place, so just close your eyes and pretend you're in Mexico.

Book a hotel stay

If all else fails, get out of the house. Reserve a hotel room and fake it. Ask the concierge for recommendations on things to do, lounge in bed and watch TV, order room service... do whatever it is you would if you were really out of town. With a little creativity, even a long weekend at home can feel like an adventure--you just need an open mind and a free spirit. Test out some of these ideas this weekend, and be sure to stop by Chasing Happy and tell me about your adventures!