Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Do's and Don't of Travel Attire-Lego House

By the time this goes live, we'll be zipping along the streets of Cambodia on a motorbike, heading from Phnom Phen to Siem Reap to check out the temples of Angkor Wat. I absolutely cannot wait to get back and share it all with you guys! Ok, I take that back. I don't want to come back but I do want to share it all! But until I can make that happen, I have Carrie from Lego House filling in for me today. This girl is sweet as can be and shares awesome tutorials and outfits on her blog along with reminiscing about her time living abroad. Be sure to stop by her blog and show her some love!

--------------------

Hello everyone! My name is Carrie and I blog over at Lego House. I'm so happy to be doing this guest post for Chelsea today and I hope she's having a great time in Cambodia! After living in Thailand for six years, I got to venture off to Cambodia on multiple occasions; it's such a beautiful country! I hope Chelsea loves it as much as I did!

I'm a huge fan of Chelsea's blog, so I'm a little nervous about this guest post! Chelsea runs such an amazing and interesting blog with all of her travels, I wanted to write a post that can live up to her status!

Today I'll be writing about airport and airplane travel fashion tips. I did a post on my own blog awhile back with airport travel tips where I mentioned what to wear and what to not wear while traveling through the airport. So I'll elaborate on it for my guest post and I hope I can give you some great tips!

En route to Kuala Lumpur! I travelled there for school and they made us where hideous polos and black or khaki pants. Not the best travel attire!

DON'T wear bottoms with zippers and buttons. You can get very bloated while traveling on airplanes. If you wear a pair of jeans with a zipper and button while traveling, it'll be tight on your stomach. Tight pants mixed with bloating does not equal comfortable travels.

DO wear bottoms that have some give. Jersey maxi skirts are perfect for this. If your bloated or really have to go to the bathroom but have to hold it in because the fasten seat belt sign is on, you'll be so much more comfortable than if you had zippers and buttons pushing into your stomach and bladder.

DON'T wear shoes with straps, laces, or buckles. I say this because of airport security. When you're going through security, there's nothing worse than the line getting help up because a woman is taking forever to either take off or put on her strappy heals. Do yourself, and everyone else, a favor and keep those shoes in your suitcase.

DO wear flats. Slip on flats will be your best friend when traveling in airports. You can slip them on and off in a second and get through security in no time. They're also cute and comfortable; an added bonus!

DON'T wear your pajamas. This is my biggest pet peeve when traveling. I know you have an early flight or a red eye and you want to be comfortable, but you're still in public. If you're traveling on a plane in your sweat pants, worn out t-shirt, and slippers (cringe), you'll look sloppy and that you don't care. The exceptions for wearing pajamas in the airport/on the plane is if you are under the age of ten.

DO dress nicely and comfortably. I think the best answer to this is maxi skirts and dresses. They're super comfortable and also really cute so it's a win-win! I have my "travel dress" which I wear every time I travel by plane and I always get compliments on it in.

DON'T forget a jacket. Airplanes are cold. They always have been and always will be. I've never been on a flight that was boiling hot. As the plane gets higher in the atmosphere, the temperatures outside the plane will drop. So if you ever have to think about weather to pack a jacket in your carry on or not, just pack it. You'll be thankful later.

En Route to Moscow! We dressed properly for the February weather in Russia, but not for the heat in Bangkok.

DO know the weather of where you're traveling from and where you're traveling to. I say this because when I was living in Thailand, me and my family would come back to the States for Christmas and New Years. We'd be leaving Bangkok where it was in the 90s and arrive in the U.S. where it would be in the 30s and 40s. When going to the airport in Bangkok, I'd wear short, neutral (not really meant for summer or winter) dress. Then when we'd land in Narita for our lay over, I'd put on a pair of tights and layer with a sweater (I would pack them in my carry on) so I'd be more suited for the cold weather. So always know the temperatures of your destinations and pack what you need for your "costume change" in your carry on.