Tuesday, July 30, 2013

You Asked, I Answered Part III

People sent in questions from all around the world asking about our lives here in South Korea. So...you asked, I answered! Since I had so many awesome questions, and I would really like to answer them all, I have decided to split this up into a three part series, this being the second installment. For Part I click here or Part II click hereLet's get started!
photo courtesy of dots.i.am photography
Jenni from The Beautiful Little Fools asked
If you could go back in time to any time period what period would you choose and where in the world would you go to during that time period?
I would love to be in Chicago during the 1920's. As a fashion major, this is my favorite time period and I also think that with all the historical events that take place during that time, it would be so interesting to observe first hand. And besides, who wouldn't want to go do the charleston at a speakeasy?

--------------------

Kate from Another Clean Slate asked:
What do your family and friends think of your blog?
Hmmm, I'm scared to ask! Actually, as much as my husband sometimes hates me being on the computer so much writing, he's been my number one fan. Brainstorming to help me collaborate pieces and series, proofreading, photo taking and majority of the editing. As much as I'm the face of the blog, I truly feel like it's a joint effort. All of my friends and family know that I write and they comment from time to time, but it doesn't come up in discussion all that often (which I'm partially thankful for! Anyone else feel awkward when people bring up your blog?!) 

--------------------

Jess from A Stamp in My Passport asked:
What is your least favorite part of living abroad? 
The staring. I feel fortunate enough that we live in a city with a large amount of foreigners here so it doesn't happen as much as other parts of the country. But there are still plenty of times when foreign women are stared at solely based on the fact that we're foreign. (I even had a three year old look at me and start crying because I was the first foreigner she'd seen! Talk about a rough first day at a new job!) It's not so much the children staring because we look different, it's the parents that join in as it's not seen as a rude social aspect like it is in the states. And don't get me started on the drunk guys that litter the streets at night. I got less cat calls when I lived near a bar area in Chicago than I do here. The worst experience was when an older man walked into my classroom before it started and had his buddy take a picture of the two of us. This sadly isn't that uncommon so I reluctantly obliged. He took it too far when he grabbed me around the waist and pulled me close to him. I have never felt so objectified by a person just because of the way I look. This definitely does not speak about Korea as a whole, it's just a frustrating experience that I, and many foreign women I know, have had. 

--------------------

Bailie from The Hemborg Wife asked:
Do you ever get confused when where you mean when you are talking about home?" 
YES YES YES! I many times have to stop myself after I say the word 'home' to clarify where I am talking about. This is especially true when we visit the states. When we leave Korea, we tell people we're going home. When we go back to Korea, we tell family and friends we are going back home. In our minds we have two homes, plain and simple. One that we currently live in, and one that we will one day return to.

--------------------

Laura from Inspiration Sparks asked:
What's your favorite part about living/exploring South Korea? I really wanna visit Seoul soon!!!!! 
The landscape is truly breathtaking. Where we live, the island is filled with mountains, all with seaside views from the top. I never grew up by water or mountains so just having the view of mountains plus several beaches within a short drive away is so much fun in the summer!
If you're visiting Seoul a few things that are must see's are: Namsan Tower, Meyongdong (for shopping), Bongeunsa Temple and Insadong traditional market. But honestly, whatever you do in Seoul you will love! It's such a great city to visit!

--------------------

And when you say "spend your lives traveling the world" does that mean you're not wanting to come back to the states? 
We're not planning on coming back anytime soon! When we first came over to Korea, the plan was to stay a year, two tops. Each year we're here, we extend is another year! We have just realized that we love the expat life. Sure, there are times when it's more difficult but all the positives that we have experienced with traveling, lifestyle and our own relationship have made it well worth it! With all that said, we do plan on moving back eventually, most likely in a few more years, we just haven't made any concrete plans to yet. 

--------------------

Aukele from 91dash asked:
What is one thing you miss about the USA or your home (no family answers!)
I've said it before and I'll say it again...TARGET! I think that would be the most popular answer for the majority of expats actually. I miss being able to walk into one store and find clothes, groceries and house goods. That's practically impossible here. 

--------------------

Bonnie from A Compass Rose asked:
Who are bloggers that inspire you and help you to dream bigger? 

Great question! Some blogs that I love reading and turn to for inspiration and a great model on how to run a blog are Elsie & Emma from A Beautiful Mess, Jenni from Story of My Life and Megan from Across the Pond.

Thank you so much for everyone who sent in a question! I hope that you all enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed answering them!