Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Will wonders never cease?

Since I’m done with the bird atlas work for this season, I was all about mowing this morning.  I put on jeans, my steel toed boots, safety glasses, ear plugs and climbed aboard the big John Deere.  At this point, I would like to mention that today was the hottest day of the year so far, and the deer flies seem to be at their peak.  Uff-dah!  (I can’t remember if that’s the proper spelling, but you know what I mean.)

IMG_0108

Along about 10:00, I took a little break and hung out my wash.  Yep, the new set of laundry lines got finished up yesterday afternoon.  I’m sure glad I mentioned this little improvement to the RV sites at a staff meeting last month. Winking smile  I don’t think Steve will be using them, but I sure will.  I love the smell of sun dried sheets and clothing.

After about four hours of mowing, and temperatures nearing 90, I was more than wilted and called it quits for the day.  I was having a little trouble with my right shoulder as well.  Not all of the places I mow are level, and I have to admit that I’m a chicken about doing the steeply slanted parts.  I feel like the mower is going to roll over and crush me.  It’s not so bad if I can hang on with my left arm, but advancing age makes slants to the left painful for my right shoulder.  At any rate, I did the best I could and doubled back several times so the slant would be to the right.  Headquarters should be good until I return next week.

IMG_0107

The wonder of the day came when Wold’s RV showed up just before 4:00 to work on my awning.  It’s been almost two months since I asked them to come and repair it.  After a little over an hour, they had restrung and repositioned it so that it now closes correctly and locks.  They also brought along the correct new windshield wipers.  I am one happy camper now.  With the way things had been going with them, I didn’t think this job was ever going to get done.

I have to tell you that I just had to chuckle listening to the two guys and their young ‘gopher’ work.  Their heavy Minnesota accents just made me think of all those Sven and Ole jokes, don’t-cha know.  It was a hoot! 

IMG_0110

After they left, I began my preparations for leaving for five days in earnest.  Of course that included making a bowl of travel snacks.  This time, I mixed Fritos, Cheetos, Bugles, and pretzel sticks together.  Forget the sweets, I’m a salty crunchy type of snacker on a long drive.   It’s just about 300 miles to Rochester, MN, from here so between the lunch I’ll pack in the morning and these crunchies, I’ll be all set.  My suitcase is just about ready, and Emma’s food and bowl are already in the car.  I’ve got lots planned for my visit, so I’ll have to see how it goes about posting.  I’m excited.

IMG_9167

                                               Another view of my foggy sunset the other night.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy