Sunday, July 14, 2013

This and that on another rainy day

I woke up to overcast drizzly skies this morning, of the kind that suggested they would stay that way all day.  And they did.  Nothing much to do outside other than dump the tanks, so I truly took the day off and just fiddled around on the computer and started making some lists.  I’m going to be driving down to Rochester, MN, on Thursday to visit all of my kids.  It will be a five day trip for Emma and me, but we’ll be leaving the rig here.   My oldest son, Daniel, is renting a dog friendly house in Rochester right now with an extra bedroom I can stay in.  My youngest son, Andy, and family live in Kasson which is a short distance away, and my daughter, Robyn, will be coming up with Avery and Phoebe from Indiana to spend the weekend. 

I think the last time I was able to be with all my kids and grandkids was for my mother’s memorial service.  This time, it will be a happy occasion.  I’m really looking forward to it.  Get ready for a bunch of family pictures next week.  That’s why I’m making lists so I don’t forget anything I want to bring with me.

_MG_9114

I don’t think I’ve shown you the new patio yet at my site.  Here it is.  It’s very nice.  I took this shot last week before any rain turned the surrounding dirt into a mud pit.  Some grass seed was supposed to be planted, but that hasn’t happened yet, and the nice white cement is now very messy looking with lots of muddy dog prints on it.  Sad smile

Do you see that green bundle laying on the edge of the green carpet?  That’s my screen room.  During the construction, it got blown away down the hill, and some of the poles got bent.  With all the wind we’ve had this week, I haven’t even tried to put it back up, but it may be beyond repair. 

Lately, I’ve really been thinking about making a return trip to Alaska.  I went there in 2004 pulling a small trailer behind with my 87 year old mother, and Robyn accompanying me.  (Robyn got called up to active duty before we were half way through the Coachmen Caravan trip we were on.)  I know lots of people can’t understand why anyone would go on a caravan trip, but for me at the time, it was my only option.  I’m glad I did it, and had an unforgettable trip.

I’d like to return and do things more at my own speed.  I also don’t want to drive my big rig up there, so I’m thinking of flying up and renting a class C for one to two months.  However, I really don’t want to do it alone.  Anybody out there want to go along?

IMG_9148

For those of you that don’t know what sponge candy is, I chopped a dark chocolate covered piece in half so you can get an idea of what I’m talking about.  See how the center looks like a sponge?  Some of you may be Oreo cookie aficionados that twist the cookie apart to eat the creamy center out first before crunching down on the crisp cookie.  I have a similar technique when eating these candies, only I bite off the chocolate coating all the way around first.  That leaves me with one melt in your mouth morsel of the actual sponge candy.  I like dark chocolate, but I’d really rather just have plain unadulterated sponge candy for a sublime treat occasionally.

Well, enough of my mental wanderings tonight.  I’ve got to pack a lunch for tomorrow.  I’m supposed to be finishing up the breeding bird atlas blocks this week, but tomorrow has an 80% chance of rain in the forecast.  I really don’t want to bird or mow in the rain, so if the weather guessers are right for a change, I’m not sure what I’ll work on tomorrow.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy