Saturday, April 13, 2013

You’re safe again, Paul Dahl!

It’s been a very busy several days here at Okefenokee NWR as I finished up my working commitments, and began preparations for pulling out on Monday morning.  I worked Thursday and Friday, and finally decided I needed two days to pack everything up and take care of final details.  No refuge work today meant I could begin all the myriad tasks after being here for close to six months. 

IMG_2522 IMG_2516

While I was out roving on Thursday, I came across a yellow-crowned night heron in one of the little ponds along Phernetton Freeway.  These birds usually sleep during the day, and hunt at night, but it was actively looking for something to eat.


                                                              “I spy a little fish down there!”

This is the first time I’ve seen anything of much interest on this little pond, so I was quite excited.  It stayed around at least two days, so all the other volunteers got to see it also after I reported it.  That was pretty neat.


It seems that every time I’m about to leave a refuge, some wildlife stops to visit me close to my rig.  I like to think that Mother Nature is saying goodbye, and thanks for caring.  Friday was no exception.  I have been wanting to see more than the tail end of a departing endangered gopher tortoise since I got here, and thought it just wasn’t going to happen.


Lo and behold, while all of the volunteers were at their rigs for lunch this fellow/gal marched into the village and didn’t run away!  It walked down our little circular drive and stopped for lunch in my front yard.  Cool beans, for sure!  After eating, it left several calling cards for me to remember it by.  Smile with tongue out  Believe it or not, it’s leavings were the same size as Emma dumps.  I quickly cleaned them up before Emma decided they were a delectable hors-devour. 

Paul and Marti Dahl are fellow fulltime RV bloggers, for those that don’t know them, and several years ago I commented on his blog about how he keeps his rig so clean and shiny on the outside.  He responded by saying he would be more than happy to wash and wax my rig any time our paths crossed.  Well, our paths have crossed several times, with no washing or waxing of my rig happening.  There always seems to be some excuse, like bad weather or one of us moving on in the morning.  Hmm… The latest reason seems to be that he is waiting for eye surgery with the VA for not visiting.  Sarcastic smile I ask you, doesn’t that seem a little flimsy?? Who me?

_MG_1962 _MG_1965

Not to worry, Paul, I found a willing and able young biology intern, Connor, on the refuge, happy (before the job) to wash and wax the rig for me.  He did admit that he didn’t think it would take the eight hours I predicted it would.  I’m thinking he’ll sleep well tonight, but he has the satisfaction of helping out a little old lady and making more money in a day than he gets paid on the refuge in a week. Winking smile  I suppose I should say that I don’t mind hiring these interns one bit, just don’t tell Paul…


                                                                              THE END!!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy