Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Perspective Series- To London

This week I'm happy to introduce Kotryna from the blog Girl With a Movie Camera for the next installment of the Perspective Series. This is a series about expats sharing their experience of living and traveling abroad and how it inevitably changed their outlook and perspective on life. 
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hey there y'all! I'm so happy to be here! Lost in Travels is probably one of my favorite blogs and it's a great honor for me to be a part of these series.
My name is Kotryna and I blog over at "Girl With A Movie Camera". I've been an expat for almost 4 years now. I'm currently studying in Amsterdam, but my heart is still in UK I'm here to tell you about my first year as an expat in London.
My boy and I were madly in love at the time (oh and we still are, even more, probably) and we wanted to do something exciting together. We were both just starting our lives from our parents and we decided that going abroad will give us the best experience. This is how we found ourselves in the capital of England, trying to start our independent life together.
It was pretty tough at first as not only we were in a new country, trying to look for our (almost) first jobs ever, but we also didn't really have a place to stay there. This is how we ended up squatting a house in South London together with some really bright people that will always have a special place in our hearts. 
My love was really quick in finding a job there and it took around a month or two for me to get mine and just before Christmas we were lucky enough to find a beautiful house up for rent in Norht London. I was really surprised how well we were doing on our first months. Honestly, London is probably the best place to start ones expat experience. The city is so multicultural, friendly and open to foreigners that it just makes it more than easy for people from other countries to settle down over there.
 
As for us- we are still trying to settle down and this might take quite a few years. As I mentioned  above I'm currently on the semester abroad, but will be getting back to UK in a couple of months. My love is currently living in Brighton and I'll be finishing my studies over there from this coming autumn. However, I'm not sure if we are going to stay living in UK after I graduate. I know this country has so much to offer, but sometimes I catch myself thinking that it's just not my place. We've been living in UK for 3 years and I actually feel more like at home here, in Netherlands, even though I'm staying here just for once semester.
London will always be one of my favorite cities though and I know for sure that I will always be getting back for a pint of beer in Camden Town or a cup of coffee in those lovely coffee shops around the Hampstead Heath.
It was a great pleasure to be a part of this expat series. Being an expat is a big part of who I am and I believe that we all should have this experience at least once in our life. If you guys are planning to move to UK anytime soon- feel free to drop me a line, I'd love to help you out with some questions you might have!






Thanks so much for writing Kotryna! Be sure to stop by her blog and show her some love!

You can read more of the Perspective Series here.

Linking up with Rolled Up Pretty and ShannaRekita, Melissa