Thursday, November 29, 2012

Did you ever forget what state you’re living in?

Today was the second of my three days in a row off this week.  Yesterday was cold, dark, and dreary and my scheduled boat ride into the swamp got cancelled due to inclement weather.  So I just hunkered down inside, did laundry, and watched some daytime TV.  It has been years since I’ve had the TV on during the afternoon on a weekday.  Can’t say that I’ve missed anything.

Today, the sun was shining and I had a long list of errands to run about 35 miles away in Kingsland, GA.  First up on the list was to get a much needed haircut.  I really only go to Wal-mart when I have to.  The bigger stores usually have a beauty parlor, so that’s all I did there.  Then it was on to the Publix grocery store.  I’m really liking this store.  What a selection they have!_MG_1323I can’t even guess the last time I had B&M Brown Bread.  When I was growing up, my mother would occasionally buy a can of this tasty bread, and we would slice it and slather cream cheese on it.  I haven’t even seen it in many years in any of the grocery stores I’ve been in.  I had to buy a can, doncha’ know.  Winking smile  Can’t wait for breakfast tomorrow!

Then it was on to do battle with Verizon at one of their stores.  I had stopped there last week to ask what the error message of WMC604 meant.  For the last three weeks or so, I have only very occasionally been able to connect with my Verizon air card.  They told me they couldn’t help me unless I brought in the air card and my laptop.  So I did that today, to no avail.  They still couldn’t figure out what was the matter.  I thought that perhaps I would have normal service in town, but it wouldn’t connect there either.  Eventually they called for Verizon support, and after about 45 minutes, Verizon decided to send me a new 4G air card.  Of course that won’t arrive until next week.  I told them to look at how my usage has dropped to near zero through no fault of my own, and that I did not want to be charged for the days I couldn’t get on-line.  They agreed to eliminate fees until I’m back on line.  (a small victory for the consumer)  Thankfully I have a very slow, but adequate Wifi signal here provided by the refuge for its volunteers.  It only takes about a half hour or so to publish a post with a couple of pictures Disappointed smile.

After getting back home, the phone rang and showed a call from Mississippi.  I thought, “Hooray!  It’s Mayo calling with my surgery appointment.”  I was excited to say the least.  As soon as I answered, the call got dropped.  My cell reception here leaves a lot to be desired.  I called back immediately, and it turned out to be a Dillard’s store.  What???  I’ve never even been in one of their stores.  Then it dawned on me: I’m in Georgia, not Mississippi, and Mayo is in Waycross, GA!  Duh!!  How could I forget what state I was living in?  I don’t know.

IMG_1318

One of the other things I did in Kingsland today was to stop at a Lowe’s to purchase one of those shepherd’s crooks thingies to hang my bird feeders on.  In the late afternoon, I pounded it into the ground.

IMG_1320

I put it at the edge of my side yard where Emma and I sit outside each afternoon and evening.  So, the Hard Rock Bird Café is now open on the edge of the woods.  Since the pine trees are about 75’ tall, there aren’t any low branches for me to hang the feeders from.  Hence, I needed one of those crooks.  I’m wagering that I may see and do battle with more squirrels than birds, but let the games begin!  Open-mouthed smile

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy