Sunday, April 22, 2012

Picturing pitchers

A post of few words this evening as I spent today on mundane chores, but got lost this afternoon in pitcher picture heaven.

IMG_7679

IMG_7683

IMG_7689

IMG_7703

IMG_7742 IMG_7740

These blooms may look the same as the flowers from the white pitcher plants, but they’re not.  These are only a little over an inch wide and only rise about six inches from the savannah floor.

IMG_7737

They are the blooms of the parrot’s beak pitcher plant.  Once insects are lured inside the ‘beak’, a small trap door closes, and it’s curtains for the bug!  This pitcher plant is very small and spreads its beaks under the grasses.  This was a new plant for me, and I really had to search on hands and knees for it.  Cool beans!

IMG_7744

Once I got back on my feet, Emma and I took a rest at one of the benches along the Dees Trail.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy