Friday, April 20, 2012

Expensive morning at the Vet’s

It was time for Emma to get all of her shots renewed, and I wanted to get another year’s supply of heartguard  and the flea and tick treatment.  Emma was happy as a clam the whole time.  She wagged her tail and smiled at everyone until it was time to have her nails trimmed.  If ever there was a look of disdain on a dog’s face, this was it.  She didn’t jump around or squirm (hard to believe, I know), but just stared at the ceiling with this disgusting look on her face.  I had to laugh. 

Before long, it was time to pay the bill, pick up the heart and flea stuff, and be on our way.  As I put all the paper work into the folder I have for her, I tried to verify that the rabies and distemper shots would be good for three years.  The girl behind the desk said they were annual shots.  I told her I expected three year shots, and fully expected that Emma would be taken back for further shots.  Not so.  She simply changed the paperwork for the rabies to be good for three years.  She said they only give distemper for one year.  What’s up with that?   (Took me a bit to recuperate from the $360 bill too)

_MG_7676

Anyway, this afternoon Diana and I headed out with our tall boots and walking sticks to try to get some pictures of the white pitcher plants.  Last year they were located in a rather unknown spot, and we had already scoped out that place out a few weeks ago and found their red blooms.  As we sloshed our way through the wet savannah we thought we were only going to find these pale pitchers.

IMG_7705

                           But finally, we saw a splash of red in the distance.  (bottom left of the photo)

IMG_7697

                                              Victory!  We slowly made our way over to the blooms.

IMG_7686

                                             There were the elusive white pitchers with red veins. 

IMG_7694 IMG_7690

These pitchers form a little later in the spring than the pale yellow pitcher plants.  Many of the white pitchers were just coming up.  I have more pictures of them, but I didn’t want to overdo it in one post.  Winking smile

IMG_7706

If you look closely, you can see several ants being lured into this pitcher.  One of the times I posted some pitcher plants, a commenter asked if I had ever stuck my finger down in one.  I did today!  It’s incredibly sticky down in there… just like fly paper.  Now I’m walking around with just a stub on one finger!

IMG_7710

Just joshing, of course, but you can see a couple of bugs on the outside of this pitcher and the shadow of one insect that is meeting it’s demise down in the pitcher.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy