Friday, February 17, 2012

Too busy for pictures today

This morning we had 34 young ladies from a drug and alcohol rehabilitation residential program show up for a tour of the refuge.  We had to use two vehicles for the crane tour, and do it twice.  These young ladies are struggling to straighten out their lives, and most had no experience with being ‘out in the wild’.  Honestly, to begin with, they couldn’t have cared less about the Mississippi Sandhill Cranes, but by the end of their visit they were quite animated about what they had seen.  The two groups I took out didn’t get to see any cranes due to circumstances involving the biologists and interns beyond my control.  I was able to take them to see the nesting bald eagles and other birds we encountered along the way, and it was rewarding to see them come out of their shells and get excited about the natural world.  It became evident that their lives have not been easy.

Their visit took close to three hours to accomplish, and afterwards Diana and I manned the Visitor’s Center and had 30+ more visitors today.  Lots of visitors makes the time go by quickly, so it was a good day.

When I got back to the rig, it was time to dump the tanks in preparation for my weekend visitors.  I’ve been having some problems with the water pressure in the rig.  It has been getting weaker and weaker.  Earlier this week I read on another blog about how they change out their water pressure regulator annually.  I decided to give that a try, and had ordered a new one on line on Monday.  Well, it arrived today and I did the switch out.  What a difference!  In all my years RVing and being on the road, I’ve not had this problem before until the last few months.

Of course, no job goes without a hitch it seems.  After I shut off the water, and loosened the hose to relieve the water pressure, a hole blew out in the side of the old regulator shooting a cold blast of water right into my crotch! Surprised smile  Whoowhee!  That sure made me jump up and take notice!  Why is it that these little chores never seem to go smoothly?  It definitely made me look like I had wet my pants.

The forecast for tomorrow’s tour before I pick up Robyn and Avery at the airport is for heavy rains and possible severe storms.  I’m hoping it all blows through so their flight won’t be delayed.  I’ll let you know how that goes.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy