Monday, February 6, 2012

Company’s coming

As I was vacuuming the rig this afternoon (which I hate), I got to reminiscing about clothes and bathing.  Weird combination, I know, but with such a mundane task my mind wanders.  Maybe it’s because I keep the vacuum in my clothes closet?  Anyway, my mind wandered back to my growing up years in Chicago. 

_MG_6000

                                          (Still plenty of berries around here for my avian friends.)

I didn’t have much of a closet for clothes growing up, and I had to share a dresser with my sister.  I seem to remember that whatever I wore for school on Monday, I wore for the rest of the week.  The only thing my mother taught me to change each day was my socks.  I remember being shocked when Michael Jelonick, the son of a Polish couple, moved into our German neighborhood.  He wore one pair of socks all week!  

_MG_6002

Bathing was accomplished on Saturday nights with the water in the tub being shared with my younger brother.  When I was a young teen, I acquired a new sister, and we were each allowed to have our own bath water, but then I had to share the bedroom, closet, and dresser upstairs. 

_MG_6003

Skip ahead to my working years, and I showered daily and wouldn’t be caught dead wearing the same clothes two days in a row.  Perhaps things come full circle, as I now continue to bath more often than once a week, but unless clothes get dirty, I tend to wear them more than one day.

 _MG_6006

It seems to me we left a smaller carbon footprint back in the day, and I don’t remember anyone smelling too terrible. 

So, my friend Jack just called and he drove all the way here from Rockport, TX, in one day.  He said it was only 638 miles!  Egad!  We’ll be meeting up tomorrow morning to hunt down some long-leafed pine needles for his pine needle basket weaving hobby.  Basket weaving… just don’t think I can go there, but hunting down the longest and best needles is something I can get into.

I’ll be happy to get out and about tomorrow and quit for a while with the normal chores.  And by the way, I bathe and change my underwear and socks daily…Winking smile

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy