Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Computer woes

I’ve spent the last two days working on the breeding bird atlas surveys on the refuge.  I don’t have any bird pictures tonight, but will include some of my other flying friends.

IMG_3377

My shoulder has been a bit sore since Emma took me on my midnight ride into the dark unknown, but you can be sure that I’ve taken the bird feeders in each night just before sunset.  Thinking smile

IMG_3379

I don’t want to encounter another bandit in the night.  I got a message on my computer tonight when I tried to upload these pics that there wasn’t room on my D drive to accommodate them.  What?  I checked the D drive, and sure enough, it was almost full.

IMG_3383

I figured after seven years of taking pictures, that must be the culprit.  So, after checking what I had saved on my external hard drive, I eliminated about three year’s worth of pictures.  That involved close to 10,000 photos.

IMG_3385

It turned out that it barely made a dent in my D drive capacity.  I was stymied.  Time to call my oldest son, Daniel, for some help.  Thank goodness he was able to get on my computer via TeamViewer to investigate things.  I’m no computer techie, and that’s what Dan does for a living. 

IMG_3382

To make a long story short, he figured out that when I had my external hard drive plugged in to back-up my computer, it backed it up onto my D drive instead of my external drive.  He eliminated all those back-up files, and now I’m back to tons of space for my pictures.  Whew!  I’ll be visiting him down in Rochester in about a month, so he’ll fix things then with a new external hard drive that will save everything correctly.

IMG_3388

In the meantime, I’m sitting here waiting for all of those photos I deleted to reload back onto the computer.  Seems it will take about three more hours.  It’s nice to have someone in the family to help me out quickly.  If I couldn’t have gotten a hold of him, my next plan was to send a plea to Rick for help.  I’m sure he was out walking the muttzo’s though at that time, since he’s a couple of time zones away. 

Not very exciting stuff, but that’s the way it is for today.  With the down loading going on, I’m thinking it may take half the night to publish this post.  Disappointed smile

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy