Well, today was supposed to be the day that I packed up and moved off of the refuge to the private campground at the end of the entrance road. You know what they say about the best laid plans. A message finally came through on my cell phone yesterday that I should call the orthopedic department at Mayo. My coverage here pretty much sucks, so it took a day or so for the message to get through. When I called back, they told me I had to come in for some more x-rays. Since it’s a 45 mile drive, and it seems nothing with any medical appointments is expedited quickly, I changed my plans. It took most of the morning to get those x-rays done. I’m glad I did it though, as the doctor needed them to use as a template for my prosthesis.
When I called yesterday, I told them I seemed to be developing some congestion in my chest. I haven’t had a cold or flu in almost ten years! I was avoiding, as well as I could, all the other volunteers and staff that were sickly the last two weeks, but to no avail. I just don’t want it to curtail or postpone my surgery. I also gave my brother, Kurt, a call since his plans were to head out from Arizona early this morning to get here. Uf-Duh! Why is it there always seems to be a fly in the ointment? Thankfully, his response was that it might only add a week to his stay with me, and was okay with that. Thank you Nurse Ratchet!
My congestion today didn’t seem much worse than yesterday, so the doctor just told me to drink lots of liquids and take my vitamins. I can do that. I’ve got my fingers crossed that it won’t get worse before Tuesday. I also asked about a handicapped tag for my car. (wish I had done that two months ago) Getting that accomplished turned out to be an adventure.
After the doctor filled out the necessary paperwork, and it was notarized, I headed for the DMV in Waycross which was on my way home. You know how DMVs are… packed with a gazillion people. After a while I found out I would have to go to the county courthouse in the county I was staying in. Okay, so I drove back to Folkston. After waiting there a half hour, they sent me somewhere else. At place number three, the lady first told me since my residence is in South Dakota, they couldn’t issue a tag to me. I told her I would be living on the refuge until the end of April. She then told me to sit down and wait as this might take some time.
It did take some time, but finally I was successful. Never thought I’d need one of these, but it was worth the all the waits.
Back at the rig in the afternoon, I started my preps for moving tomorrow. I’m happy to report that I asked for two of the male volunteers to be assigned to help me, and my request was granted. They’ll be here tomorrow at 9:00 or so to help me do the outside work. All that bending stuff with the hookups and such are beyond me right now. They’ll also travel the five miles with me to Okefenokee Pastimes and help me set up. I normally have to be very independent, but I’m thrilled to turn over most of the physical work tomorrow.
As for tonight’s concert? As I started this post, the volunteer village was surrounded by a pack of coyotes. They barked, yipped, and howled around us for a good five minutes. ‘The Call of the Wild’! I was the only one in camp this evening, so only Emma and I got to enjoy this concert. Her hair was kind of standing on edge…
Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later, Judy