Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Scrub a Dub

Have you ever tried making body scrubs? I tried one this summer with brown sugar and honey and while it sounded like a good idea and smelled amazing, it left my face raw and bright red for the next day. Attractive huh? However, after the redness subsided, I had the softest skin I have felt on anyone older that two (probably because I rubbed a whole layer of skin off in the process). I was scared away from any sort of scrub for awhile but with this harsh winter weather I decided it would be better to have bright red skin versus it look like it was snowing every time I undressed. Luckily for me, I recently found a recipe for a body scrub that not only smelled good but left my skin baby soft and non irritated. Win win.
Mix the sugar, olive oil and vanilla together.

Lastly, add the zest from the two lemons and the juice from one. This recipe is perfect because you can easily scale it up or down depending on your needs. The quantities listed below filled up six of my small bottles perfectly.

Ingredients:
.3 cups white sugar
.3/4 cup olive oil
.juice from 1 lemon
.zest from 2 lemons
.2 tablespoons vanilla extract

I have heard people use lemon extract as well which would probably make it smell even better. You can never have enough lemony smell right? 

Linking up with Shanna and Rekita