Saturday, October 13, 2012

Three reasons I know it’s time to move on

I set my alarm for this morning so I’d be sure to be on time for my last day at work at the Pea Island VC.  I left a little before 8:00 to make the thirty mile drive.  On my way there I noticed that the  Hatteras National Seashore campgrounds are closed down for the season, and that you can no longer climb to the top of the Hatteras Lighthouse until next April.  That bummed several of the visitors out today when they learned that.  Many National Parks use seasonal staff, so when it’s time for them to leave many of the services get cut.

_MG_0804

Once I got everything set up for the day and opened the door, I was greeted by this group of North Carolina State Alumni… the ‘Wolfpack’.  They were here today to pick up orange vests and bags from me so that they could donate time cleaning up several miles of beach front on the refuge.  Our nation’s refuges always welcome volunteer groups to come in and help keep our refuges clean.  It’s just too bad that picking up other people’s trash is necessary.  They were out on the beach about three hours, and did a good job of filling up the dumpster located in the parking lot.

_MG_0806

Then as I was posting the low and high tide times on our weather board inside the VC, a woman asked if I was Judy.  It turned out to be Nancy Conrad and her husband, Joe.  She writes the Streamin’ with Joe and Buddy blog that I follow.  They are on a caravan tour with their Airstream group and staying down in Waves for a couple of nights.  They were on their way to spend the day touring Manteo, and I had suggested they stop by the VC on their way there so we could meet.  Nancy had emailed me the other day that they would be in the area.  Many of you know how enjoyable and fun it is to meet fellow RV bloggers.  They could only stay briefly, but they sure seem like a fun couple!  It took me a while when I initially started reading their blog to catch the connection between their blog name and the fact that they travel in an Airstream trailer.  Some times I’m not the brightest bulb in the bunch. Embarrassed smile

Now, on to three of the reasons I think it is time to move on down the road from this assignment.

1.  Last week I spoke to Tracy, the new volunteer coordinator, and told her not to put me on the work schedule for next week as I would be leaving on Monday or Tuesday.  Early this morning, I received an email of next week’s schedule, and it showed me working on Monday at the Pea Island VC.  I quickly sent off a response saying today would be my last day as I needed a couple of days to get ready to leave.  When you travel solo, you have to do both the pink and the blue jobs, and I like a little time to accomplish both.  Tonight I received another email with an apology, and I was taken off of the schedule. 

2.  As Emma and I were relaxing outside early this evening, I noticed that some grass/weed blades have started to grow through my indoor-outdoor carpeting.  Now if that isn’t a sign that I’ve been here long enough, I don’t know what is.

3.  Lastly, with the recent cold front moving through, I’ve trapped six mice in the basement storage area where the water hose comes into the rig.  An influx of rodents is really my #1 reason to hit the road!  Yes, I know all about putting steel wool around the area where the hose comes in.  My remedy this time is to just get out of Dodge.  Winking smile

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy