Wednesday, October 24, 2012

I’ve got Georgia on My Mind…

I was a little worried this morning that I might be getting Paul Dahl Disorder (PDD) today as I had planned to drive 250 miles from Florence, SC, to Brunswick, GA.  I’m much more comfortable doing about 100 miles less than that, but I was on a mission to get within striking distance of Okefenokee NWR.

_MG_1045

                                   (tonight’s photos are from Pearl’s garden that I visited yesterday)

As I’ve mentioned before, one of the biggest challenges I have on the road is finding a gas station that I can get into and out of without issues.  Since I don’t have a diesel engine, finding a gas pump with enough room for my rig and toad gives me heartburn.  When I’m at a campground for more than an overnight stay, like I was in Florence, I try to scope out a place I can easily get gas while I drive around in the car. 

_MG_1048

If I’m lucky, the best of all circumstances are available, and that was the case this morning.  There was a wide open approach and exit to a gas station just a quarter mile before my entrance onto I-95S.  As it turned out, it had about the slowest pump I’ve run into (twenty minutes to pump 50 gallons), but I didn’t care.  No nerve wracking heartburn today.  Then I looked down and found two coins on the ground…a penny (isn’t that good luck?) and a quarter.  The quarter had the South Carolina state on it as well.  Kind of gave me a good feeling for today’s travels.  Smile

_MG_1051

I needed that.  I always try to check out the next campground I have a reservation for on the RV Campground Reviews website, and where I would be staying tonight had some very low reviews lately.  It made me a little apprehensive.

_MG_1057

After about six hours on the road, taking into account my slow gas stop and lunch at the Georgia Welcome Center rest area, I arrived in Brunswick at the Golden Isles RV Park.  My first impressions are that I have no idea why the recent reviews rated it so low.  Compared to my site in Florence, this place is tons better.  I was too pooped to bother with pictures of the place this evening, but I’ll try to do that tomorrow.  I’ll be here for two nights.

As near as I can figure, Okefenokee is only about 50-60 miles away.  So I’ll pack a lunch tonight and Emma and I will make a visit there in the car tomorrow to scope out my approach and where we’ll be setting up camp for the next several months.  They’re not expecting me until Friday or Saturday, and I’ll just be more comfortable with checking out how to get there in the car first.  I’ve ended up in some rather sticky situations with the rig when arriving at some refuges for the first time. 

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy