Saturday, May 12, 2012

The plans in Jell-O have wiggled

I must say that I’m rather enjoying the fact that I don’t have to be in North Carolina for my next volunteer assignment until the latter part of July.  I’m a pretty destination bound planner, and this three month respite has my mind reeling in possibilities.  My next move was to occur this Sunday towards Birmingham, but I’ll get into the changes I’ve decided on in a bit.  First, I want to show you some of the other things I saw in Montgomery besides the Capitol Building.

_MG_7905 _MG_7909

First is the grave of Hank Williams Sr. that Judie and Dick Seeders took me to on Tuesday.  It’s quite a sight.  His grave is on the right, and many of his famous songs are engraved around the headstone.  Perhaps if you click on the right photo you can read the titles.  I’m not a huge country music fan, but even I recognized many of them.  The grave on the left is of his ex-wife, Audrey.  According to Judie, she isn’t really buried there at all, but resides in a different grave down the hillside.  I can understand that.  I’m not sure I’d want to spend eternity next to my ex.  Smile with tongue out  There is also a plaque signed by Hank Williams Jr. that requests that these sites not be desecrated. 

_MG_7912 _MG_7915

As I was wandering around the Capitol area the other day, I came upon the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church where Martin Luther King Jr. served as pastor for six years before the Selma to Montgomery March for Voters’ Rights occurred. 

IMG_7960 _MG_7963

Across Washington Street from the Capitol is the First White House of the Confederacy (circa 1835).  I managed to tour this building in between school groups as well.  This house was the home to President and Mrs. Jefferson Davis while the capitol of the Confederacy was in Montgomery.  Flashes were not allowed inside the home, so I didn’t get any pictures of the rooms.

_MG_7962

I was welcomed to the residence, however, by Major Henry Howard.  Henry is a volunteer docent at the White House, and portrays a Confederate Surgeon.  He did make an offer to a visiting young family to amputate any bad limbs with his rusty saw.  Disappointed smile

When I returned to the campground the other day, I stopped at the entrance gate and signed up for three additional nights here.  That means I won’t be leaving until Wednesday.  I’ve been checking any COE parks in Alabama and Tennessee to see if there are any sites available to reserve for the week including Memorial Day Weekend.  I came up with a big fat zero.  There also isn’t much of any camping available around Birmingham that I’d be interested in staying at next week other than Oak Mountain State Park, and their rates are a bit much in my opinion.  So, my latest plan is to head out to Holiday Campground, a COE campground on West Point Lake in Georgia. 

The hosts here told me that they worked there six years, it’s a wonderful campground, and there is a lot to see in the area.  It is near La Grange, GA, where FDR spent time.  My thinking is to pull in there on Wednesday and secure a first come first served site for two weeks.  That will take me through the holiday weekend.  I’m usually located at a NWR for holiday weekends, so I’ve been a little nervous about finding a place this time.  Like I said, I’m a planner at heart.  So, I’m hoping this latest plan works without a hitch.

_MG_7972

                                                                                 THE END!!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy