Thursday, May 17, 2012

How could I get lost?

I arrived at the Holiday COE campground on West Point Lake yesterday with the help of ‘Jack-in-the-Box’ (my GPS) and the directions from the lady at the Georgia Welcome Center.  So today I decided to visit one of the other COE campgrounds on the lake and the Visitor’s Center.  I decided I didn’t need Jack since I’d already driven these roads…big mistake!

IMG_8089

I eventually found the campground I was looking for.  Fellow bloggers will be staying there a night or two, so I wanted to see how their accommodations compared to mine.  The R. Shaefer Heard campground is closer to things I want to visit in the area by about 20 miles.  Despite the extra mileage, I’m happy with where I am at.  Many of the sites there were closer together and the back in to the sites had very steep downward grades.

IMG_8091

After taking a drive around, I headed for the visitor’s center where I enjoyed all of the displays and watched a five minute movie.  Then I had to take the obligatory drive across the dam built by the Army Corps of Engineers in the early sixties.  There are an unbelievable number of parks and recreation areas along the lake that the COE manages.

_MG_8093

They have also brought back breeding ospreys to the area by providing hacking stations and nest platforms.  I believe there was a young chic in front of and under this adult osprey.

It was at this point that I decided to head back to the rig.  As often happens, I turned the wrong way and eventually ended up back in Alabama!  Yikes!  I found I-65 and headed to exit 2 which after about 30 miles took me back to the rig, I thought.  Well, I missed the turn for the campground and ended up in Alabama for a second time today!  Egad, I guess I’d better never leave home without Jack around here.

I spent the rest of the afternoon perusing all of the pamphlets I got at the Georgia Welcome Center yesterday to see what I might want to visit tomorrow.  I think I’ve whittled it down to either the Calloway Gardens or Warm Springs where FDR had his hide away White House.

After setting up my gas grill and cooking supper, I brought out my computer to the picnic table and began to assemble this post.  That’s the first time I’ve ever done that outside; probably due to the fact that I have great internet reception for my air card without needing the Wilson antenna and amplifier.  Smile  It was great sitting out there with Emma and blogging away.

IMG_8104

It also allowed me to grab the camera and hop down behind my site to try to get a nice sunset picture.  While I was waiting for the sun to make its exit, a river otter swam right past where I was standing near the water’s edge.  Cool Beans!

IMG_8095

                               What better way to end an interesting day in Georgia (and Alabama Smile with tongue out).

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy