Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Poop Bag Caper (and other thoughts of similar magnitude)

Welcome rain arrived today, so I decided to head to Beaumont on a few errands.  Last Saturday, I posted that I was having trouble finding the doggie poop bags that I’ve bought in the past.  Dollar stores have been the best places to find this item at an affordable price.  However, lately I’ve struck out on this quest at every dollar store.  On the way back to the rig, I stopped at the Family Dollar store in Winnie to inquire if they had what I was looking for. (I found them there last year)  My response when they said they no longer carried them was to say, “Awe shucks!”  A reader had suggested I use diaper refuse bags, but I couldn’t find any of those at Target today either.  It’s been a long time since I’ve perused the diaper aisle at any store!

IMG_4134

After I left Family Dollar, an employee came running after me asking if these small bags would work.  He said they no longer use these small item bags and I was welcome to them.  They’re only 8”X8” so they’ll work perfectly.  I know Emma’s full of it, but bags from the grocery store or Wal-mart are really over kill.  Now I’m set for a couple of months.  Don't tell anyone smile

I was hoping to take JIM AND GAYLE, fellow fulltimers and bloggers, on a tour of the refuge yesterday, but the threat of mosquitoes and severe storms sent them leaving for a more southern location in the morning.  Too bad.  Maybe we’ll cross paths again sometime.  The funny part of their departure was that I noticed their rig go flying by the volunteer rigs about 10:00 yesterday.  Who would of thought they’d take the very rural FM 1985 on their way out of Anahuac?

_MG_4110

On my way back to the rig this afternoon, I noticed three crested caracaras in one of the pastures near my site. 

_MG_4116 _MG_4115

I think the three of them are a family group.  The bird on the left is a juvenile, and the adult is on the right.  This is not the first time I’ve seen them traveling together.

64 Anahuac NWR 20114

They’re a distinctive looking bird of south Texas, and are mainly eaters of carrion that they find by cruising low over fields and pastures.

64 Anahuac NWR 20113

Another cattle drive occurred yesterday, and the cattle were moved into the area of the refuge just 15’ to the left of my rig.  Can you guess how this effects Emma?

_MG_4133

Now she’s on constant patrol whenever she’s on her tie out.  Obviously the rig needs protecting from those marauding bovines behind the barbed wire fence.  Smile

_MG_4125

                                                                             THE END!!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy