Sunday, November 13, 2011

Back to work

I finally felt well enough to work in the VIS this weekend.  I didn’t think I could manage two full days, so a person was supposed to relieve me each day.  I ended up working 7 hours on Saturday which was about two hours too long.  I guess there was a slight problem with communications there.

This morning, Dorothy came in with me so that I could give her a review on running the VIS, and I was able to leave and be back to the rig by about 1:00.  That was about the right amount of time.

IMG_3967

I ran into this little dude who was trying to sign in at the registration booth.  I think the little suction cups on the toes of tree frogs are cool.

_MG_3969

The last couple of days have been in the 80’s, which is about ten degrees above normal for this area.  Those temps have been accompanied by very high southerly winds, but the Turk's cap are still blooming and the gulf fritillaries are still around.

_MG_3974

Migrating birds continue to arrive at the refuge.  There was a large flock of white-crowned sparrows singing their hearts out today in the butterfly gardens, and each morning and night I am serenaded by the moving flocks of geese in the skies over the rig.  Thousands of boat-tailed grackles continue to descend on the RV pads each morning around 6:00.  I don’t know what the attraction is for them, and I’m getting a little tired of all the white wash on my rig.  Smile with tongue out

Had a little mystery going on the last couple of days.  Emma has one of those stuffingless(?) fox toys to play with outside.  She loves to shake it up and toss it around after I give her dinner each night.  Well, it went missing yesterday.  I looked everywhere…under the cars and rig, under the picnic table, etc.  It was no where to be found.  It was still missing this morning.  Then suddenly this afternoon, it reappeared in the middle of our little yard.  I have no idea where it went to or how it reappeared.  Hmmm…

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy