Friday, November 4, 2011

A trip to the E.R.

Yesterday, I thought my back was doing a little better, but I spent an absolutely miserable painful night last night.  When I got up this morning things were the worst they have been.  I got Emma put out on her lead, but that was about all I could accomplish.  I would have asked one of the other volunteers for help, but I couldn’t walk as far as their rigs, and the temperature was 32*, so no one was outside.  It turned out that Colin had left early to do some bird watching anyway.  We were going to exchange phone numbers, but hadn’t gotten around to it yet.

In the meantime I got on the computer long enough to Google urgent care, Anahuac TX.  The closest place was Bayside Community Hospital in Anahuac.  I couldn’t even sit to read blogs this morning!  Eventually, Colin returned and I flagged him down to ask if he would take me to the E.R.  Of course, he said yes.  I had planned a farewell dinner for Colin for this evening, and had to get the corned beef cooking before we left.  I know that sounds crazy, but I just had to do it.  He drove me up to the community building so I could get the meat in the crockpot, and then we headed for the hospital.


As we drove the 20 something miles, Colin kept up a good chatter to help me keep my mind off of the constant searing pain.  We talked about the unusual arrival of this Harris’ Hawk that I had spotted the other night as we sat outside enjoying the last light and thousands of geese heading into the refuge.  Thanks Colin, that sure helped pass the time.

I had imagined having to wait hours at an E.R. to be seen, but I was ushered right into a room and examined.  It didn’t take them long to diagnose my malady as a pinched sciatic nerve.  I was not surprised, I just wanted some relief!  Soon, the nurse came in with two needles, and said, “drop your drawers.”  As I sprawled over the gurney, she punctured both cheeks of my kiester.  That was another new experience for me.  Surprised smile  One shot was a muscle relaxant, and the other was for pain.  Then, I was instructed to use an ice pack and given exercises to do to help with relief.  I also had two prescriptions filled for the pain and a muscle relaxer.  You can bet I’ll be taking them.  By the time we left, I was felling a bit better.

_MG_3911By the time 4:00 rolled around, I was able to slice up the corned beef and join in on the farewell dinner.  That’s my friend, Colin, on the left.  Barbara and Jim are the other volunteer couple here with me, and Stephanie and her son Eon (sp?) are on the right.  Sorry to say, I was not able to stay for the clean-up of our dinner, but sure appreciate the others taking over.  Stephanie had also found a replacement for me for the VIS tomorrow.  I just need to concentrate on getting better.  Phew!  I was worried about how I was going to be able to work tomorrow.

That’s about all I can stand sitting here tonight, so I’ll have to leave reading blogs for a later date.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy