Friday, September 28, 2012

Final walk on the beach?

After taking care of several errands yesterday, Emma and I enjoyed an evening of sitting outside. 

IMG_0155

As usual, she was on full alert, just in case something threatening should happen to come near.  It wasn’t long before she found something of interest.

IMG_0156Her nose was working overtime, and she soon took off at a run with her back hairs standing up, to the back edge of the volunteer compound.  Barking away as she went, of course.  I was right behind her to be sure she stayed within the fence.

IMG_0148

Sure enough, the three little bears were making their way through the field behind the bath/laundry house.  The grasses pretty much hid them, but they all made their way to the woods.  Don’t know where their mama was.  I didn’t see her.  Much of her barking seems to be a false alarm to me, but last night she was right.

Today after checking the internet, I found out that low tide on Pea Island was scheduled to occur in the early afternoon.  Considering I’ll be on my way in just over two weeks, I thought I’d better take advantage of this chance to find some shells along the ocean shore.

IMG_0174

It was a gorgeous day on the beach.  First I parked at the visitors center, but that path to the beach climbed over the dunes.  On second thought, I moved a little south down the road to an area where the beach approach was more level.  My cane really sinks in the loose sand of the dunes, so a more level approach was helpful.

IMG_0178

On a beautiful afternoon, I certainly wasn’t alone on the beach, but I wouldn’t exactly call it jammed packed.  This isn’t a part of the coast that is known for great shells, and it lived up to that expectation.

IMG_0164

Besides the few people, there were other creatures joining me on the beach.  Lots of these little crabs (about the size of a dime) were scurrying in and out with the waves.  Considering their size, I suppose a little wave looks like a tsunami to them.  Winking smile

IMG_0169 (2)

                          A half dozen or so brown pelicans were also cruising the air looking for a meal. 

IMG_0180 IMG_0181

I may not have found many shells, but this gull found a tasty dead fish that was washed up on shore.  After an hour or so, I needed to sit down, so I made my way back to the car and headed home.  I’m not a big beach person, but I certainly enjoyed my time listening to the waves for perhaps my final walk on the beach this fall.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy