Monday, September 10, 2012

A Real Blast From the Past!

I’m not sure I can remember the last time I skipped several days from posting on the blog, but things have been far from exciting around here.  If I’m bored, than I’m sure anything I might have to say would be boring as well.  I worked the weekend at both visitors centers and nothing note worthy happened.  I took the back roads to and from work, but even the creatures decided to take the weekend off from posing.

A couple of weeks ago, I received an email from someone in my distant past (and I truly mean distant).  He and his wife have been living in North Carolina for the past 25 years, and he found out that I was volunteering here on the coast.  Last night he sent me another email stating they would be in Manteo this afternoon.  We eventually decided to meet for dinner tonight in Wanchese. 

_MG_0550

That seemed to signal the end of boring times.  Even the great blue heron came out of hiding.  Winking smile

_MG_0581 _MG_0579

And the great egret didn’t fly off as I approached late this afternoon.  That is unusual.  I also had an interesting encounter with another bear, but I’ll leave that for tomorrow.

IMG_0582

I made my way to Fishermans Wharf Restaurant in Wanchese and got there a couple of minutes early.  The fish company associated with this restaurant has been in business since 1933. 

IMG_0585

The shrimp boats dock right alongside the restaurant and offload their bounty.  They usually go out on Mondays and return at the end of the week.

IMG_0584 IMG_0583

IMG_0586

I was happy to see information on how the shrimp are caught, but more important was how the equipment is designed so sea turtles are not caught in the huge nets to die.

IMG_0589

Carl and Ellen Jensen were inside waiting for me when I arrived.  Now here is the rest of the story of this blast from the past.  Growing up in Chicago, Carl Jensen was a good friend of my older brother, Carl.  I was just a kid sister at the time.  Both Carls retained their friendship after high school graduation, and both remained very interested in flying.  Carl J. got his pilot’s license, and I remember both of them taking me on a memorable flight while I was in my late teens.  Carl J. did everything possible on that flight to get me sick in that little three person aircraft.  Smile with tongue out  I don’t remember where we were going, but I do know it was my first ever flight in an airplane.

Then a few years later, Carl J. called me up to see if I would like to go on a blind date.  He was working for IBM, and knew a couple of young bachelors that were new to the Chicago area that needed dates.  He and Ellen were already married at this time.  I called up my best girlfriend at the time, and off we went.  A second blind date ensued with me adding another single friend that I taught with.  The result of those two blind dates were that all three girls ended up marrying the three guys. 

As we enjoyed our dinner, Carl and Ellen figured out that the last time we had seen each other was 31 years ago!  That made this meeting especially interesting.  A lot has happened in 31 years, but I was able to recognize Carl as I entered the restaurant.  Tonight was truly, a blast from the past!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy