Monday, July 16, 2012

America’s most famous feud

_MG_9346

I’m not exactly sure what I was expecting out of the Hatfield – McCoy Feud Driving Tour, but I thought I’d see a little more than historical markers.  We had heard from more than one source that the portion of the tour in West Virginia was best done with a four wheel drive vehicle, so we opted to only visit the sites around and in Pikeville, KY.  Kentucky is where the McCoy clan hailed from.

Pam and Stan had recently watched the Hatfield/McCoy Feud movie on the History Channel, but I had not.  This is probably why the tour was more rewarding for them than for me. 

_MG_9342

Following the tour route pamphlet was not easy.  Of course, it didn’t help that there was a car show going on in town which meant that Main Street was totally blocked off.  So we missed two of the sites because we couldn’t get to them.

_MG_9343 _MG_9345

Eventually we found the McCoy house.  It is still standing and is presently an Italian Restaurant. 

67 On the way to NC 201255

The highlight to the tour was the Dils Cemetery.  I found it interesting that the tombstone engraver spelled the word feud incorrectly on the McCoy grave marker.  We had to walk up quite a few steps to get to this cemetery on the side of the mountain.  What with Stanley’s back, Pam’s painful knee, and my miserable hip, we looked like the walking wounded.  Disappointed smile  Of course the heat and humidity didn’t help one little bit. 

_MG_9357

All good things must come to an end, and this morning Pam, Stan, and George pulled out of the campground to make their way back to the Chicago area.  Despite the awful temps at the beginning of the week, and the rain and thunder storms the last few days, I thoroughly enjoyed our time camping together.  It is such a treat for me to share some of my travels and adventures with someone to laugh with and talk to other than Emma.  I’m already looking forward to where we may meet next year.

_MG_9364

As I spent the day getting things packed up for my departure tomorrow morning, I once again noticed one of the camp hosts pilfering through the garbage cans.  What is up with that?  He drives around to all of the cans each morning, pulls all of the garbage out, rips open each of the bags and rummages around in them.  Yuck!  I know he’s looking for aluminum cans, but wouldn’t it be easier to have an aluminum recycling bin?  He doesn’t even wear gloves!  It really grosses me out.  I can’t imagine that this is part of his required duties as a host.  If it is, I certainly wouldn’t volunteer here.  If I think about what could be in those bags it’s enough to turn my stomach.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy