Friday, July 6, 2012

A fun trip to the grocery store

As I may have mentioned before, I don’t find grocery shopping a horrible chore at all.  I rather enjoy it.  I suppose it harkens back to the days when I had three little ones under school age, and I would once in a great while be allowed to go grocery shopping without them.  I’d slowly cart myself down the aisles dreaming up luscious meals to prepare.  Back in those days, it was about the only time I had to myself. 

Well, since I’ve been on the road, my culinary skills have taken a back burner, so to speak, but I still like grocery shopping trips.

IMG_0303                                                   MOODY MANSION – GALVESTON, TEXAS – 2007

Just about every year, my sister, Pam, and brother-in-law, Stan, have met up with me somewhere in the states  for a week or two.  That’s when my cooking comes to the front burner. 

IMG_4074

                                                    MISSISSIPPI RIVER – HANIBAL, MISSOURI –2009

You see, when we camp together we switch off days of preparing dinner/supper.  That means next week Pam and I will each fix three dinners.

IMG_1456

                                                  TRIP TO YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK – 2010

With plenty of time spent in the rig this week due to the record temperatures, I’ve been figuring out what I’m going to serve for my three days.  When I only cook for myself, I keep it pretty simple to say the least.

IMG_2184

                  GOING DOWN MEMORY LANE TO THIS HOUSE WHERE WE GREW UP - CHICAGO – 2011

So that’s why this morning’s trip to the grocery was so much fun.  I had my list, checked it twice, and came home with everything I’ll need…. I think.  I don't know smile

IMG_2465 IMG_2467

                                       PIONEER FAMILY CAMPGROUND – INDIANA- 2011

Tuesday night I plan to fix hot pulled pork sandwiches with the special Russell’s BBQ sauce on cheese biscuits along with home made cole slaw and fresh sliced tomatoes.  Thursday will feature grilled chicken/apple sausages with home made potato salad and a relish tray.  For my finale on Saturday, I’ll make corned beef with potatoes and carrots.  I’m not much for desserts, but Pam and Stan are, so I even purchased a frozen carrot cake roll stuffed with cream cheese. 

_MG_8986

                                          ROBYN’S ARMY RETIREMENT PARTY – DYER, INDIANA - 2012

I am also prepared with Blue Bell Ice Cream and a couple of toppings, crackers, and a small block of natural apple cinnamon jack cheese, and guacamole for appetizers.  I’m only a foodie once a year, and next week is it!  Anyone want to join us at Jenny Wiley State Park in Kentucky?

Seeing as two out of the three main dishes will be done in my crock pot, we’ll still have plenty of time to take trips in the area to see what there is to see.  Pam is a real go getter for touring all kinds of places.  I just hope she doesn’t choose too many old buildings.  I’m about at my limit right now for that.  Smile with tongue out  And what about poor old Emma in this rendezvous? 

IMG_2388

Why she’ll be seeing her boyfriend George for a week!  George is pretty good about putting up with her embarrassing antics.  She’s such a ‘lady of the night’ around him that it makes us all chuckle.  George, being a regal collie, is above all that playing around.

If the temperatures continue to be as hot as they are, I think I’m going to have to talk to Pam.  I don’t think I’ve seen her in a pair of shorts in 40 years, and I know I’ve never seen Stanley in shorts.  What’s up with that?  It seems like her favorite thing to wear is beige slacks.  Perhaps the old saying is true?  “Vanity, thy name is woman.”  (I can say all of this because I know she doesn’t have internet while traveling to Kentucky) Winking smile

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy