Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Preparing for Nurse Ratchet, and other trivia

You know, I’ve been living on the road solo for about six and a half years, and I have to admit that I’ve just about filled the closet and drawers with my clothes.  Couples that travel together have to share a closet and three drawers, but not me.  In a couple of weeks, Nurse Ratchet, aka my brother Kurt, will be arriving to help me through the surgery recovery process.  The other day I got to thinking that he’ll probably be bringing more than the clothes on his back with him since he’ll be here several weeks.  Confused smile

Hmm… what’s a girl to do?  You have to remember that I have clothes for all seasons, and a drawer full of just volunteer uniform items.  Doing laundry is a pain in the neck for me, so I’m comfortable with a two week supply of all needed clothing items.  (Well, maybe a little more than that)  I had a brain storm the other day, and this was my solution:

IMG_1414

When I first hit the road in a smaller rig, I had the passenger’s seat removed and put in two of these plastic drawer stacks to afford me more storage space.  I didn’t need them in my present rig, but they gave me the idea.  It’s hard to live out of a suitcase for an extended period, and these drawers fit nicely behind the turned around passenger’s seat.  I think this will work out just fine.

In other news around here, a commenter a while back suggested I offer to sign a liability release with the refuge so I wouldn’t have to move off refuge for my surgery.  Well, that offer was turned down as well, so I’ll be packing up soon and moving down the road.  It had come to my attention that others had been allowed to stay while having surgery, but they were all couples where the husband could continue to volunteer while the wife recuperated.  I guess I’ll just chalk that up to another disadvantage to traveling solo.  Crying face

IMG_1415 (2)

While I was out shopping for the drawers yesterday, I decided to break down and buy a new set of pajamas for my hospital stay and recovery.  I haven’t bought new PJs since before I went on the road, so what I have is pretty ragged.  Won’t I be stylish?

Good news today, was that I finally got my first customer at the Hard Rock Bird Café.  A little American goldfinch came in for a bite to eat.  I hope he returns with some friends.  Wouldn’t you know, now that I have to leave, a bird comes.  I’m thinking I may leave the feeders up and just ask Barry and Barb to keep them filled with my supply of seeds until I return.

_MG_1418

I thought I’d include my view out my dining booth window tonight.  That view could change soon.  There is another volunteer couple coming in at the end of the month.  They have two sites to choose from, and I’m hoping they choose the site across from me.  We’ll see.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy