Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Talked to the scheduler today

Another overcast rainy day today, but the rain slacked off to just constant drizzles for most of the day.  It was a day spent mostly inside again.  In the early afternoon, I did get a phone call from Cindy, the person who will be making up the work schedule for the foreseeable future.  After determining that I was capable of running both visitors centers, she asked about conducting canoe tours.

_MG_9652

I enjoyed doing that five years ago in the swamps of Alligator River NWR.  However, I’m five years older, have a persnickety right hip, and still can’t load and unload this stack of canoes.  Last time, a young healthy male intern did the loading and unloading for me.  Most if not all of the interns will be leaving in the next week or so, so I had to turn down that assignment.  Sad smile  Shucks!  It’s an interesting trip, and I loved telling the stories of the now gone Buffalo City.  It was a small backwoods community that did a lot of logging in the old days, and bootlegging during the Prohibition era of the 1930’s. 

_MG_9653

So, my schedule for this week includes three days in the two VCs.  More than I like, but Cindy assured me that things would change soon after she learned the ropes of operating both of them, and things calmed down from the interns and Abbey leaving.  We’ll see how that works out.

_MG_9649

There will be no Soundside program for me this week on the Pamlico Sound, but Friday I’ll be free to do my shell hunt along the beach, and restock pamphlets on the back roads around Alligator River.

_MG_9655

It was dry enough early this evening for Emma and I to sit outside for a change.  I noticed that some of the vines covering the trees are beginning to show some fall colors and berries.  I’d sure like to have the Hard Rock Bird Café set up here, but it’s out of the question.  Bears eat the same things that birds do, so not even a hummingbird feeder is allowed.  I bet the thrushes will be after these berries as they move through the area this fall.  That’s if the bears and turkeys don’t get them first.

I’ll be at the Gateway VC tomorrow, and I’m sure the rain will be gone now that I have to go back to work.

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy