Monday, March 12, 2012

Responding to some comments on a rainy day

First of all let me say that the five things I mentioned in my post last night aren’t really must haves for me, but do make my time at an extended stay destination more enjoyable.  As for truly must haves, I’d have to say my laptop, aircard, camera, DISH satellite, and popcorn!  I think hot buttered popcorn is one of the necessities of life.

Several folks asked where I got the pellet pistol, and I must say that I got it from Walmart.  I’m not crazy about shopping there, but sometimes I find it unavoidable.  Since it rained most of the day today, I got a little practice in.

_MG_6829

I don’t know for sure if this is one of dudes that I took site on, but I do know that I didn’t have to refill the bird feeder again today.  I haven’t used up the small supply of pellets that came with the gun yet, so no squirrels are wearing bright yellow spots, but one fluffy tailed rodent literally flew off of the feeder.  Sarcastic smile

As for the smiley face on the tree, I hang the four pieces up using itty bitty nails that I place into the outer bark just far enough to secure the features.  I also remove those little nails when I leave.  No trees are harmed in the process.

_MG_6820

Like the post title suggests, we had over two inches of rain today, so Emma and I only got to sit outside for a brief time today in between the falling wetness.

IMG_6832

Last week when Diana and I went to that cooking class, we chipped in for a new cookbook from this area.  I’ve been reading through it, and found an easy recipe that I thought I’d like to try. 

IMG_6833

So our plan for today was for me to make the Shrimp and Egg Salad, and Diana was to make a shrimp cole slaw.  We both made our parts of the meal, but decided to just exchange portions since we couldn’t eat outside.  Of course we both used fresh gulf shrimp.

_MG_6835

I’ve never used capers before, so that was something new for me.  I really like egg salad, but never thought of adding shrimp to it.  Thanks to the Good Luck Ducks, I did have one can of beer in the fridge, so I boiled the raw shrimp in it.  I decided to serve it with Italian Bruschetta Toasts with the shrimp slaw, marinated mushrooms, and a couple of grape tomatoes as sides.  It was a very tasty meal on a dreary day.  Being from Texas, John and Diana like their food spicier than I grew up with, and the cole slaw reflected that preference. Disappointed smile  I imagine the egg/shrimp salad was a little bland for their tastes, but I sure enjoyed it.

I hope the sun shines tomorrow for my last day off this week.  I’d still like to get one of the canoes into the bayou…

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy